Institute for Byzantine Studies
The Institute for Byzantine Studies of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts was founded by Academician George Ostrogorsky in March of 1948. To date, the Institute has been headed by three directors: George Ostrogorsky (1948–1976), Božidar Ferjančić (1976–1998) and Ljubomir Maksimović (since 1998).
Traditionally, the scholarly activities of the Institute are conducted in four basic directions: (а) History of Byzantium and Byzantine-South Slavic relations; (b) Byzantine sources for the history of the peoples of Yugoslavia; (c) Byzantine literature and the medieval Greek language; and (d) Byzantine and post-Byzantine art. Since January of 2011, the scholarly activities of the Institute have been streamlined through the long-term project, Tradition, Innovation and Identity in the Byzantine World (headed by senior research associate Bojana Krsmanović, PhD). The project is interdisciplinary in character and involves both Serbian and foreign researchers.
The Institute issues three series of publications: ZRVI (Collection of Papers of the Institute for Byzantine Studies), Posebna izdanja (Special Editions), and Izvori (Sources). Since 1952, 54 volumes of the ZRVI, a world-renowned journal, have come out. Its bibliographic sigla – ЗРВИ/ZRVI – has long become globally recognized and is listed among the acronyms of frequently quoted publications in all important works by Byzantologists worldwide. The jubilee 50th issue of the ZRVI is dedicated to the Institute’s Director, Academician Ljubomir Maksimović (Festschrift).
The Institute has also published 44 special monographs, including five volumes (of the planned seven) in the series, Vizantijski izvori za istoriju naroda Jugoslavije (Byzantine Sources for the History of the Peoples of Yugoslavia). The latest book in the Special Editions series is Bojan Miljković’s Čudotvorna ikona u Vizantiji (The Miraculous Icon in Byzantium).
In 2015, the Institute launched a new series of publications, entitled Sources. Its first volume is Natpisi istorijske sadržine u zidnom slikarstvu (Historical Inscriptions in Mural Painting), Vol. I, 12th-13th c, by Gojko Subotić, Bojan Miljković, Ida Tot and Irena Špadijer.
The SASA Institute for Byzantine Studies, which has been part of the SASA Department of Historical Sciences since its inception, is in charge of organizing the majority of scholarly activities in the field of Byzantine studies. In the paste seven decades, in cooperation with SASA members, the Serbian (previously Yugoslav) Committee for Byzantine Studies and other pertinent scholarly institutions, the Institute has organized a large number of local and international scholarly conferences. Every five years, beginning in 1990, national conferences of Byzantologists are organized, attracting Serbian researchers of all generations. Bilateral cooperation of the Institute with similar institutions abroad (in Greece, France, Bulgaria) resulted in the organization of several specialist symposia and researcher exchange. On several occasions, the Institute co-organized international scholarly gatherings of the highest rank and its associates participated in the organization of the 12th International Congress of Byzantine Studies at Ohrid in 1961.
The successful organization of the latest, 23rd International Congress of Byzantine Studies (Belgrade, 2016), was predominantly the result of the efforts of the highly dedicated Institute associates. This was the largest global congress of Byzantine studies ever, with around 1,300 researchers from 49 countries.
|Director:||Academician LJUBOMIR MAKSIMOVIĆ|
|Address:||Knez Mihailova 35, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia|
|Telephone:||+381 11 3037-099, 2637-095|
|Fax:||+381 11 3288-441|