Institute of Technical Sciences
The SASA Institute of Technical Sciences was founded on July 15, 1947 by a decision of the Committee for Scientific Institutions, Universities and Colleges of Vocational Studies as the Institute for Mechanical Engineering of the Serbian Academy of Sciences. The Institute was established as a result of the conditions prevailing at the Academy and the need for an institution that would engage in scientific research in the field of mechanical engineering, particularly in view of the postwar industrial development of the country and its ever increasing industrial and technological independence.
The SASA Department of Technical Sciences is in charge of the Institute. The goal of the Institute was to intensify the participation of the Academy in scientific projects catering to the needs of the Serbian economy and industrial production and also to provide members of the Department with the opportunity of taking an active part in the field of technical science.
In 1969, the Vladimir Farmakovski Institute for Mechanical Engineering became the SASA Institute of Technical Sciences.
The Institute has been headed by the following directors: Academician Vladimir Farmakovski (1947–1954), SASA Corresponding Member Dušan Veličković (1954–1963), Academician Nenad Zrnić (1963–1980), Prof. Branislav Bilen (1980–2001), Prof. Dragan Uskoković (2001–2011), and Academician Zoran Đurić (since 2011).
The Institute is engaged in scientific research as a scientific institute founded in keeping with the regulations governing public service institutions. The founding rights to the Institute lie with the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts.
The SASA Institute of Technical Sciences is a scientific institution conducting scientific research in the field of technical-technological and natural sciences. It encourages the development of these fields of science and advances research in them in partnership with kindred scientific institutions at home and abroad. The Institute applies its achievements in cooperation with the economy or independently.
For three decades after its establishment, the Institute was involved in researching mechanical engineering issues and was closely linked with economic enterprises. The same was mostly the case in the next two decades as well, as the focus of the research was on technical sciences, only to shift to natural sciences at the start of the 21st century. In the past several years, acting on a proposal put forward by the Department of Technical Sciences, there have been efforts to link the Institute’s natural science projects with technological development projects in order to turn the Institute back, to some extent at least, to its original field of research, specified when the Institute was founded.
The efforts and achievements of the Institute’s associates in the construction of ships, railway vehicles, electrical cars, power stations, and also bridges, buildings and the development of new materials.
The Institute employs 39 associates (27 doctors of science and 12 researchers), who implement projects mostly funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia and, to a lesser extent, by other institutions.
|Director:||Academician Antonije Đorđević|
|Address:||Knez Mihailova 35, P.O. Box 377, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia|
|Telephone:||+381 11 2185-437, 2636-994|
|Fax:||+381 11 2185-263|